Covenant of Mayors Office for Sub-Saharan Africa
By 2050, the urban population in Africa is expected to grow from 400 million to 1.26 billion people. African cities need to respond to these challenges in order to provide a sustainable future for their citizens and keep greenhouse gas emissions low. Therefore, ensuring access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy and adapting to the effects of climate change are among the most pressing issues for the African population.
In this context, the European Commission launched the “Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa” (CoM SSA) to support African cities with these challenges, by increasing their planning capacities and providing them with a platform to share knowledge and best practices. The CoM SSA is inspired by the success of the “Covenant of Mayors Europe” (CoM Europe) that united 6700 municipalities in their fight against climate change.
Covenant of Mayors Office for Sub-Saharan Africa (CoMO SSA)
CoMO SSA is a 4-year project with the general goal of increasing the capacities of cities to implement the Covenant of Mayors in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Overall coordination and Network animation
- To provide guidance to interested cities
- Support international, regional and national associations of local governments through training materials and specifically tailored trainings/workshops
- Coordinate with local civil society organisations and support to participative local governance of the projects
- To provide support to signatories in the preparation of grant applications
- To provide support for drafting Sustainable Energy Access Climate Action Plans (SECAP)
- To provide action related technical support to the SSA cities
What is CEMR's role?
CEMR coordinates the Covenant of Mayors Office for Sub-Saharan Africa partnering with six networks: Climate Alliance (CA), Energy Cities (ENC), United Cities of Local Governments Africa (UCLG Africa), ICLEI Africa and ICLEI World Secretariat. Three Institutional organisations: French Agency for Environment and Energy Management (ADEME), the International Association of Francophone mayors (AIMF), the Portuguese Energy Agency (ADENE); and two non-governmental organisations: Environment Development Action in the third world (ENDA) and Sustainable Energy for Africa (SEA).
Project Officer - Covenant of Mayors for Sub-Saharan Africa
Tel. : +32 2 842 45 52
Skype : vanessa.vovor_1