Waste management and circular economyBack to all news in brief
Circular economy - 14.03.201770% of municipal waste should be recycled or prepared for re-use: this was approved in Parliament on 14 March.
Next step: the Council of the EU should take a position on the circular economy in the coming months.
Circular economy - 22.11.2016#EWWR2016).
Back in June, CEMR, EUROCITIES and Municipal Waste Europe addressed the European Parliament so that they would take towns and regions’ needs into account for the future directive on waste and landfill. We put forth 6 proposals for better local waste management in Europe. Now, we are using this week as an opportunity to share our messages once more.
1. Broaden the definition of municipal waste to make the implementation of waste policies easier
2. Partnerships between waste producers and local governments need to make clear that all waste costs are covered (and not just “optimised costs”, like the current directives says)
3. To target other sectors than municipal waste in EU waste legislation, since 90% of waste in Europe is not municipal!
4. Increase funding availability for towns and cities
5. Create knowledge platforms to enable the exchange of best practices for a transition towards a circular economy
6. Set up waste prevention measures
Circular economy - 09.02.2016
Consultation: the Committee of the Regions wants to hear the opinion of local government associationsThe results of the consultation will contribute to the opinion paper that the Committee of the Regions (CoR) is currently drafting on the EU circular economy package.
The consultation will take place on Tuesday 23 February at the CoR building, in Brussels.
You have until Monday 22 February to register.
Circular economy - 01.02.2016Environment Commissioner, Karmenu Vella.
CEMR, who was present at the conference and who has been very active on this dossier, welcomes that the new circular economy package takes into consideration that the separate collection of bio-waste shall be ensured where technically, environmentally and economically is practicable and appropriate.
Waste - 12.08.2015circular economy strategy. Among other objectives, the strategy will focus on concrete measures such as achieving better eco-design, waste reuse and a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
This public consultation aims at collecting contributions from several stakeholders, including local and regional governments. The deadline for participation is 28 August 2015.
< previousnext >
Policy Officer - Environment
Tel. : +32 2 500 05 38
Skype : axelle_griffon_ccre
Search by theme
Governance, democracy and citizenship
International engagement and cooperation
Local and regional public services management
Environment, climate and energy
Economic, social and territorial cohesion